The day that we all had hoped would come, finally has. Though it was bittersweet and this place just won’t feel the same, Payton adopted new humans today. We think he really scored it big and are so happy to have been part of his world; a step in his journey. He’ll be having a wheelchair made just for him to help him when his legs don’t feel like working and even has a canine brother. We want to give all of you a heartfelt thanks for being a part of this ride. Payton is such a special dog. <3
Payton is back home with his family here at HSMC after an overnight stay at the UW-Madison Veterinary Teaching Hospital, still hoping for a home, waiting for his hair to grow back from where it was shaved as we wait for the results of more tests to get the final determination of his condition. It isn’t all we had hoped for at this point, so we are sharing the neurology DVM’s notes: “Payton’s MRI and spinal fluid analysis ruled out the potential of a mass lesion or inflammatory disease processes as the cause of his problem. Given this and his breed, our suspicion is cerebellar abiotrophy. Another possibility is a storage disease process, specifically ceroid lipofuscinosis given the presence within his breed. We are ruling out Neospora because of its predilection for the cerebellum, but this is far less likely, as it usually effects lumbosacral nerve roots in puppies and cerebellum in adults. We will await the remaining tests and proceed once they become available”. “The cerbellum is the part of the brain that regulates the fine control of the movement and balance. Differential diagnoses for his problem include a degenerative cause (cerebellar abiotrophy – a hereditary problem in which the cerebellum degenerates over time or storage disease called ceroid lipofuscinosis), a congenital cause (cerebellar hypoplasia – a disease in which the cerebellum does not form appropriately prior to birth), neoplasia, lesion and inflammatory disease. Testing for Neosporis (an unlikely infectious disease), neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis, and other inborn errors of metabloism are pending. We will wait and see what the results of the pending tests are and contact you once they are available. Our primary suspicion is that Payton has cerebellar abiotrophy. With this disease, the expectation is that Payton will continue to progress until he cannot walk or function well, at which time euthanasia may be appropriate.” Payton can enjoy what time he has as a pet in a home. He enjoys other dogs, loves people, has fun playng and running (when he can), enjoys his potty walk outside on the leash, and likes to squeeze the most he can out of life into every day! We’ll keep you posted as we learn more. In the meantime, if you are seriously interested in providing a home for Payton and his special situation, understanding the short time he may have, please contact HSMC.
A while ago we shared a story about Payton, the young American Bulldog pup who is struggling with a congenital spine malformation. If you missed it, you can see it along with pictures and video by clicking this link: Our Valentine, Payton.
Payton continues to face the challenges of each day with joyful energy and determination. His goofy puppy antics brighten up every day for all of us. When his legs fail him mid-playtime, we are inspired by his continued attempts to chase the ball or play with another dog, pulling his uncooperative body along the floor to keep enjoying what he was doing…all with that never ending smile!
The radiographs and assessment notes from the examining veterinarian at Kronenwetter Veterinary Clinic have been sent to the neurology department at the UW School of Veterinary Medicine in Madison. An appointment is set for Wednesday March 4, 2015 to begin the next step of Payton’s Journey.
We are learning that the clock ticks quickly at the UW. Once Payton arrives the examination process begins. He will need to stay overnight and will likely have an MRI if deemed appropriate. If the MRI shows a surgical option as the best course to follow it would be done immediately. All told, this is an estimated cost of anywhere from $2500 if they determine there is no treatment option, and up to about $5500 if surgery is done. Yes, all of this comes at a hefty price for any shelter and as always, the needs of the many have to be weighed against the one when it comes to budgeted funds.
The last time we asked for medical help was in 2010 for a 6 month old black Chihuahua pup named Ebony. She had fractured her front leg in the growth plate and required either amputation or surgery, with the leg being pinned and held with an apparatus. With YOUR help, we were able to save her leg and even had enough “love funds” left over to do other more minor but life changing procedures to several other awesome dogs!
We’re asking for your love funds once again.
If you would like to support Payton’s Journey, please consider a donation sent to HSMC at 7001 Packer Drive Wausau, WI 54401 to make 100% of your donation count. Or for convenience, make a contribution at Payton’s Journey.