Did you know that 68% of U.S. households, or about 85 million families, own a pet, according to the 2017-2018 National Pet Owners Survey conducted by the American Pet Products Association? That’s a great statistic in the animal sheltering world and one that we hope continues to rise. Knowing that over half of the available households already have pets, can make it difficult to find placement for pets that are particular and cannot live with other animals. We often hear people saying “I would adopt them if I could!” or “If only he liked other dogs!”
Even if your household is full, or if you already have a pet that is particular at home, you can still help these picky pets find a home! How? The wonderful world of social media, of course!
We are lucky to be located in a community that cares about pets and more specifically, cares about shelter pets! Did you know that we have pets featured weekly on a variety of local media outlets?
- Every Wednesday morning on WSAW’s Sunrise 7 program we feature two adoptables; these pets are also typically featured on WSAW’s website as well as their Facebook page.
- Every Thursday evening we have a pet featured during Pet Savers on WAOW; this segment runs toward the end of the 5:00pm show and sometimes ends up on their Facebook page.
- Every Tuesday morning we are in studio with Bryan Scott of 101.9 WDEZ with an adoptable pet; this segment is recorded on Facebook live and featured on their website blog.
- Each week we have two adoptables featured in the Wausau Daily Herald with photos and descriptions; sometimes these photos are also featured on their Facebook page.
- Each week we have an adoptable dog featured on 93.7 WHDG Hodag Country’s website in their Hodag Country Critters blog.
- Each week Fox Wausau or WZAW features two of our adoptables on their website and during their newscast.
In addition to the pets we get to feature on different platforms, we are constantly posting about our awesome adoptables on our HSMC Facebook and Instagram pages.
Still looking for how you can do your part, even though you can’t adopt? It’s coming!
Even if you cannot adopt one of our awesome pets, you can still help us tell their stories. You can do this by “sharing” the posts you see on our social media sites, as well as on other local media outlets. “Sharing” a post improves the reach that each of our critters can get and increases the likelihood that someone out there in this great big world of ours will fall in love with that pet. Someone may come into our shelter to see one specific pet and end up falling in love with another. Someone may come out to visit and bring a friend or family member with them that may fall in love with an adoptable pet. So many wonderful things can come from something that takes so little effort.
We ask you kindly that the next time you see a fun post about an adoptable pet on one of our social media outlets, you press that little “Share” button and help us spread the love and the wonderful stories behind each one of our furry friends!