If your pet is at our shelter we want to reunite your pet with you as quickly as we can. We will do all we can to reach this end, but we need your help! Call us at (715) 845-2810 before making the trip to the shelter so we can answer all of your questions in advance.
In order for you to reclaim your pet, you will be required to comply with Wisconsin State Statute #173.23. The following is a list of what is required to reclaim a dog or cat:
- Your pet must have a current rabies vaccination certificate. If your pet does not have this vaccination you must purchase a prepaid vaccination from a licensed veterinarian. *Please note, most veterinary clinics will charge for an exam in addition to the vaccine, especially if your pet is not established with their clinic.
- A current dog/cat license in the municipality that you reside in, if applicable. Dogs must be licensed in all municipalities, and cats must be licensed in the City of Wausau, Village of Weston, City of Schofield, City of Mosinee, Town of Rib Mountain and Village of Rothschild. You cannot purchase a license without evidence of a rabies vaccination or prepaid vaccination. Licenses can be obtained at your local municipal clerk. City of Wausau residents can obtain a license via the online system here. License fees are established by the municipality (not HSMC) and late fees may apply.
- A driver’s license or WI photo ID are accepted forms of identification.
- Full payment of the reclaim fee of $20 for the day of impound and $10 per day for each extra day in the stray hold. Additional fees may apply if additional veterinary expenses were incurred for your pet. Payment may be made by cash only.
- HSMC can provide a microchip for your pet at the time of reclaim for just $10.00 plus tax, be sure to ask staff!
When your animal arrives at HSMC, he or she has received the necessary care and attention. These procedures have been set in place for the safety, health, and well-being of the lost animal and all other animals at the shelter. As a service to our community, we are required to complete necessary paperwork and charge fees as stated in municipality contracts.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation!