Make a match that’s best for you and your family – in three simple steps. While we have streamlined the adoption process for your convenience, we also ask that you do not rush the adoption process. We take this responsibility very seriously and do reserve the right to refuse any application for adoption if we determine the placement is not in the best interest of the pet. HSMC allows a minimum of 24-48 business hours to process an adoption application. This time frame may be extended if a pet receives multiple applications or if sterilization surgery is pending. Our adoption process is not done on a first come-first served basis; we strive to determine which applicant can provide the best suited home for each pet on an individual basis.
- Visit with us. It’s not just about seeing the available animals – but determining what each animal needs from you and whether you can offer it. Please note that if you are looking to adopt a dog and currently have a dog at home, your dog must come to the shelter to visit to ensure safe compatibility with the dog you are interested in adopting.
- Provide proof of address with a picture ID. If you own a home, we’ll need proof of home ownership. If you rent, we’ll need a copy of your lease (indicating the pet policy). We require a landlord signature on a Landlord Permission Slip Form that is available at the shelter and the option to be able to speak with the property owner or rental agent during the adoption process.
- If you are 18 years of age or older, you are eligible to adopt. You may complete an adoption application in person at the shelter or by clicking on the appropriate application below, or by filling out our online form here:
Only complete applications will be considered, be sure to answer ALL the questions! Please note that HSMC does not hold animals, nor does the submission of the adoption application entitle you to any particular animal.
Why are there fees?
These fees are the primary source of funding needed to pay for the supplies and veterinary costs to care for homeless, injure, abandoned and unwanted animals that come through our doors each year.
Forms of payment are cash, check or money order. The adoption fee includes:
- initial vaccinations and de-worming (applicable to dogs, cats, puppies and kittens)
- an identifying microchip inserted under the pet’s skin (applicable to dogs, cats, puppies and kittens) with free registration for your pet
- surgical sterilization (applicable to dogs, cats, puppies, kittens and rabbits)
Be sure to ask about our “Seniors for Seniors” program. Dogs and cats 8 years or older are available to qualifying applicants 65 or older for a 50% discounted fee!
Cats and Kittens
- Male cats $60.00
- Female cats $100.00
Dogs and Puppies
- Puppies 6 months and under $250.00
- Adult dog under 25 pounds $200.00
- Adult dog over 25 pounds $175.00
- Dogs 8 years and older $125.00
Ferrets, rabbits, reptiles and exotic birds
- Male rabbits $50.00
- Female rabbits $90.00
- Ferrets $50.00
- Birds $5.00 for small songbirds; more for larger birds as directed by avian rescue recommendations
- Reptiles vary by type
Rabbits are spayed/neutered at HSMC expense.
Mice, hamsters, gerbils and small birds $5.00
Your pet will receive initial vaccinations that are age appropriate, which includes the rabies vaccination for all adult cats and dogs. HSMC will not give a rabies vaccination to any pet that is under 4 months of age. If you are to adopt a pet that has not reached the age of 4 months, the rabies vaccination will be at your expense once the animal has reached the appropriate age. HSMC cannot reimburse you for any medical bills you incur. There will be no refunds or exchanges unless your veterinarian has deemed, in writing, that the animal is unadoptable due to health or behavior within the first 30 days of the adoption.
All cats and dogs must be spayed or neutered to stem the epidemic of pet overpopulation. Also, please note all cats and dogs 8 weeks and older will be spayed or neutered prior to going to his or her new home.
Additional pet care options*
- FeLV snap test for adult cat $20.00
- Heartworm/Lyme snap test for a dog $20.00
- Dog dew claws removal
- 2 for $20.00
- 4 for $40.00
- Cat front paw de-claw $160.00 (or higher if reflected in our invoice for the service from the veteriarian)
*Please note that state taxes are applicable to all adoption fees and pet care options.