Make a match that’s best for you and your family – in three simple steps. While we have streamlined the adoption process for your convenience, we also ask that you do not rush the adoption process. We take this responsibility very seriously and do reserve the right to refuse any application for adoption if we determine the placement is not in the best interest of the pet. HSMC allows a minimum of 24-48 business hours to process an adoption application. This time frame may be extended if a pet receives multiple applications or if sterilization surgery is pending. Our adoption process is not done on a first come-first served basis; we strive to determine which applicant can provide the best suited home for each pet on an individual basis.
*Due to COVID-19 we are not currently allowing casual visits to the shelter to view adoptable animals. In order to view an adoptable animal at the shelter you must first fill out an adoption application; staff will be in touch with you once the application has been received to schedule a visit or you may contact us directly at 715-845-2810 after submitting an application to confirm receipt and schedule a visit.*
- Visit with us. It’s not just about seeing the available animals – but determining what each animal needs from you and whether you can offer it. Everyone (we’re talking humans) in the household is required to visit with the pet you are interested in adopting. Please note that if you are looking to adopt a dog and currently have a dog at home, your dog must come to the shelter to visit to ensure safe compatibility with the dog you are interested in adopting. *If you are coming to do a visit with your dog, you must have proof of vaccination records with you or we will not be able to do the introduction. Be advised this is for the safety of your pet and ours, thank you!
- Provide proof of address if you own a home, such as a tax bill, mortgage statement, homeowners insurance or deed. If you rent, we’ll need a copy of your lease (indicating the pet policy). We require a landlord signature on a Landlord Permission Form that is available at the shelter and the option to be able to speak with the property owner or rental agent during the adoption process.
- If you are 18 years of age or older, you are eligible to adopt. You may complete an adoption application in person at the shelter or by clicking on the appropriate application below, or by filling out our online form here:
Only complete applications will be considered, be sure to answer ALL the questions! Please note that HSMC does not hold animals, nor does the submission of the adoption application entitle you to any particular animal.
- HSMC requires proof of vaccinations for any other pet already in your household. State statute requires rabies vaccination and license for any dog 4 months of age or older and several local municipalities require cats to be rabies vaccinated and licensed as well. If your pet is not up to date on vaccinations or has no vet history, we may choose to deny your adoption application or give you the option of coming into compliance first and applying second.
Why are there fees?
These fees are the primary source of funding needed to pay for the supplies and veterinary costs to care for the homeless, injured, abandoned and unwanted animals that come through our doors each year.
Forms of payment are cash, check or money order. The adoption fee includes:
- initial vaccinations and de-worming (applicable to dogs, cats, puppies and kittens)
- an identifying microchip inserted under the pet’s skin (applicable to dogs, cats, puppies and kittens) with free registration for your pet
- surgical sterilization (applicable to dogs, cats, puppies, kittens and rabbits)
Be sure to ask about our “Seniors for Seniors” program. Dogs and cats 8 years or older are available to qualifying applicants 65 or older for a 50% discounted fee!
Special pricing for black animals and those that must be the only pet in the household.
Cats and Kittens
- Male cats $60.00
- Female cats $100.00
- Senior cats (age 8 or older) 1/2 off
- Special pricing offered for bonded pairs
Dogs and Puppies
- Puppies 6 months and under $250.00
- Adult dog under 25 pounds $200.00
- Adult dog over 25 pounds $175.00
- Dogs 8 years and older $125.00
Ferrets, rabbits, reptiles and exotic birds
- Male rabbits $60.00
- Female rabbits $100.00
- Ferrets $50.00
- Birds $5.00 for small songbirds; more for larger birds as directed by avian rescue recommendations
- Reptiles vary by type
Rabbits are spayed/neutered at HSMC expense.
Mice, hamsters, gerbils and small birds $5.00
*Seniors for Seniors: Adults age 65 and older who adopt a senior pet (age 8 and older) for 1/2 price
Your pet will receive initial vaccinations that are age appropriate, which includes the rabies vaccination for all adult cats and dogs. HSMC will not give a rabies vaccination to any pet that is under 3 months of age. If you are to adopt a pet that has not reached the age of 3 months, the rabies vaccination will be arranged in coordination with HSMC and their veterinary partner at no cost to you. HSMC cannot reimburse you for any medical bills you incur. There will be no refunds or exchanges unless your veterinarian has deemed, in writing, that the animal is unadoptable due to health or behavior within the first 30 days of the adoption.
All cats and dogs must be spayed or neutered to stem the epidemic of pet overpopulation. Also, please note all cats and dogs 8 weeks and older will be spayed or neutered prior to going to his or her new home.
Additional pet care options*
- FeLV snap test for adult cat $20.00
- Heartworm/Lyme snap test for a dog $20.00
*Please note that state taxes are applicable to all adoption fees and pet care options.